Home Care Instructions: Invisalign
Wear your trays 24/7! The only time they should be removed is 30 minutes a day for eating and brushing your teeth. This avoids delays and incorrect movement of your teeth.
1. Initial Discomfort:
- On the first night of each aligner, the tray may cause discomfort. If needed, you may want to take a Tylenol. Tightness should subside within 48 hours of consistent use.
- Use Chewies and Munchies to help seat your teeth. Bite down on these each night to help get better results.
2. Salivation and Lisping:
- You will lisp a lot. To help adjust, practice reading aloud with the trays on.
- You will salivate a lot. A foreign object is in your mouth and your brain thinks it is food. Excess saliva production should stop within 48 hours of consistent use.
3. Eating and Drinking:
- Remove aligners, rinse under water, and store in the case while eating. Rinsing avoids smelly aligners.
- If you plan to drink anything other than water, utilize a straw and try to keep your trays dry to avoid trapping liquid under them.
- DO NOT drink hot beverages with trays in. Remove if necessary.
- Keep the mouth clean by brushing in the morning right after breakfast and evening before going to bed. You may brush your aligner as well with tooth gel. An electric toothbrush is highly recommended.
- You can keep the aligners clean by using 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for 20-30 minutes, then rinse. Do not brush trays with toothpaste, as this abrasive paste will create micro cuts in the tray that collect dirt. Instead, use tooth gel.
- Keep up to date with your routine dental hygiene cleanings!
5. Losing your Aligners:
- DO NOT wrap them up in napkins-- they are guaranteed to be lost.
- If a tray is lost, skip to the next set and notify our dental office immediately. Take note of the aligner number that was lost.
6. Accelerated Treatment: If you have chosen accelerated treatment, use your appliance for 20 minutes every day. You may switch aligners every 7 days.
Foods to Avoid While You Have Your Braces And Retainers On
- Tootsie rolls
- Whole Apples
- Corn on the Cob
- Hard bagels or bread
- Crab with Shells
- Brush your teeth after every meal
- Brush and rinse with “Prevident” or “ACT” before going to bed
- Come in for a check-up for cavities and cleaning every 6 months
- Don’t miss any of your appointments